One of the beauties of Christianity is the fact that we have assurances of answered prayers. Yes! As Christians, we do not have to doubt or worry about whether God will answer our prayers or not. Whether the answers come as hurriedly as we desire it is another matter but we can be sure that God hears us and answers us. God makes bold to say in Jeremiah 33: 3, “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” That definitely does not sound like a god who is not capable or willing to answer prayers. Jesus Himself says in John 14: 13- 14, “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
However, there is a key to being assured that your prayer will be answered, even as a Christian. That key is ‘praying according to the will of God.’ Most of us pray but we fail to pray according to the will of God and as a result we have since become victims of unanswered prayers. 1john 5: 14- 15 declares, “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”
How then can we pray according to His will? The answer is praying in the HOLY GHOST or more popularly, praying in tongues. Praying in tongues is one of the key, pilot or initial manifestations of the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer. When the Holy Spirit comes on a man, He gives that man a prayer language by which such a man can access the miracle files of heaven so he can download his blessings into this world for his comfort.
While not being baptized in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues as a Christian does not invalidate your Christian faith nor heaven boundedness i.e. your going to heaven, it grossly affects your capacity live as an overcomer in this world.
Why then should I pray or earnestly desire to pray in the Holy Ghost?
- 1Corinthians 12: 7 says, “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.” Whatever the spirit gives us, including speaking in tongues is for your profit so among other things, you need this (praying in tongues) to profit even more.
- Speaking in tongues is part of the package that Jesus said that those who believe in Him would enjoy (Mark 16: 17). If you do not yet have all that Jesus promised, it is a sign that you are lacking something vital.
- When you pray in tongues, you are not the one praying but the HOLY SPIRIT Himself, is the one praying through you to the father. It is God talking to God through you for your own benefit. That kid of prayer cannot but be answered because God cannot tell God to do what is contrary to the will of God. This what is described in Romans 8: 26-27, “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Let me highlight two things in this passage:
- We are not perfect in knowledge so we do not know what to pray for or how we ought to pray for what or when to pray for a particular thing so when the spirit takes over through our praying in tongues, these human limitations are bypassed.
- The Holy Spirit knows the will of God per second, per time and so, knowing what God wants for us and what to do through us, He begins to intercede in line with God’s will through our praying in tongues.
- Praying in tongues directs everything to begin to work for our good. This is true because Romans 8: 28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose “is directly linked to the issue of praying in the Holy Spirit.
- Praying in tongues builds our faith to make us strong against the enemy. Jude 1: 20 says, “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost”
- Praying in the spirit gives us direct access to God. When we do this, the devil is confused and cannot intercept our prayers because we speak mysteries in the spirit. According to 1Corinthians 14: 2, “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.”
- It helps you to edify yourself. (1Corithians 14: 4)
- It helps you to speak in the language of God, of angels and even of men (1Corithians 13: 1)
- It helps you to give thanks to God well (1Corithians 14: 17)
- It helps you to pray all types of prayers (Ephesians 6: 18).
- It makes the life of God to flow through you to others (John 7: 37- 39).
Beloved, praying in the Holy Ghost is for you. 1Corinthians 14: 39 says, “…forbid not to speak with tongues.” Instead, practice it earnestly. If you are yet to experience it, desire it with sincere passion and where possible, let hands be laid on you to receive this gift of the spirit.
I see your splendour being made manifest as you experience this river of the Holy Spirit these days in Jesus name.