The key word for this year is Splendour or greater glory. It sure fills one up with excitement and expectation but as divine as it is, it will only appear on our stickers and other ministry materials and never become flesh or become a living reality in our daily lives if we do nothing about it, hence, we have to get on with doing greater works.
The goal this year, in order to attain greater glory is to become Ten Times better than we are right now in all the facets of our lives. While this is a tall vision, it is achievable if we have the right perception as we have been taught.
How then do I become ten times better?
- Believe that ten times better is possible. Others have done it before. Daniel and his friends proved this in the land of Babylon. It is written in Daniel 1: 19- 20, “And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore stood they before the king. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.” Not only these in the old testament, a servant made it happen in Luke 19: 15- 16, “And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.” If there are evidence in the old and new testaments that becoming and producing ten times better is possible, then we in the latter days, with the name of Jesus on our lips and Holy Ghost anointing on our heads plus all the technology and information available to us can do better. If you do not believe, you will not be established in this matter (Isaiah 7: 9).
- Maximize your opportunities. We live in a world of equal opportunities. Daniel and his friends were given Direct Entry admission into the University of Babylon to study for 3 years. They did not spend a longer time than the rest. They did not have special lecturers. If anything, they even reduced (or so it seemed) their chances by not eating the brain and intelligence enhancing food of the king. They gave their best shot. They did not waste their opportunity. This is a year of open doors, walk into your open doors and do exploits in Jesus name.
- Build your capacity. Capacity building precedes greatness. To build your personal capacity,
- You need a positive shift of possibility thinking on your inside. You need to believe and accept that you can be more and do more than you are right now.
- You need to pursue knowledge and crave for understanding and wisdom. Understanding is the difference between theory and practice. Having known how to do, you need wisdom in presenting yourself and your work in a way that it will be profitable. Certification must never be your main goal; you must aspire to be able to do and not just to talk. Wisdom is also very key because outside wisdom, you will not know how to conduct yourself in a way that the right value will be attached to your work. Daniel and his colleagues spent three years learning how to conduct themselves before the king and when they finally appeared before him, they did so well that for Daniel, he became a recurring decimal in successive Babylonian administrations till the days of Cyrus.
- You need to become trainable to acquire special skills. Daniel 1: 17 says, “As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.” Their submission to God made them specialists. If you will submit to mentoring this year, you will become skillful in all that you do.
- Sacrifice and self-control. Self-control is key to becoming ten times better. We are these days being hindered from becoming our best because of better things around us. You need to delay present gratification in order to achieve set goals. You must be ready to sacrifice food and sleep for the time being. You must be ready to let go of certain relationships that are causing you losses. Abraham had to let Lot go. You must be ready trade the good for the better. You must be ready to sow your seed at the right time in the right place. Daniel and his friends sacrificed food so that they could stay spiritual and focused on their studies.
- Be visionary and Purposeful. You need to be able to see a preferred future from where you are now. God told Abraham after Lot left him in Genesis 13: 14- 15, “…Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.”God is able to move us from here, where we are to the ‘there’ that we can see. This is why you need to have a goal or goals and beyond just a mental picture, you need to write them down and be ready to act on them to bring them to pass under God. You need to let your vision consume you to the point of you pursuing it till it becomes a present reality.
Beloved, Ten times better is a possible reality. Rise up and start. Let it be made manifest in your church branch, in your bible study life, in your prayer life, in your evangelism, in your academics, in your business, in your family life and so on. With the Holy Spirit, you will do greater works and see greater manifestations this year. You, even you will have testimonies in Jesus name. God bless you.